So what am I doing on this crappy day you ask? I'm Baking bread!!
Just before I sat down to make this post I pulled some sweet rolls out of the oven, and just before that I pulled the plain rolls out (and after it cooled I passed one to P. and had one myself, YUM!)
I had a basic recipe for dinner rolls that resulted in dense, heavy rolls that I wasn't really looking for today but I used it anyway, the trick to that recipe is that you don't let the dough rise and they're done in under an hour.. but today I had the time and I wanted some soft rolls, so I let it rise, punched it down and let it rise a second time before dividing the dough into 12 gorgeous rolls and then left them to rise just a bit more before going into the oven.
The result? Perfectly browned, soft, freshly baked rolls and my whole apartment smelling like freshly baked bread is a total bonus :)
Yield: 12 buns
40 minutes prep 10-12 minutes bake time
- 2 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water, plus
- 2 tablespoons warm water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3 1/2 cups flour
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add oil and sugar and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, salt and enough flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Put back into the mixing bowl and let rise 10 minutes
- Punch down and let rise another 10 minutes
- Divide into 12 pieces and shape each into a ball.
- Place 3" apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Bake at 425° for 8 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans to wire rack to cool.