I got this recipe from one of The Kid's teachers when he was just a little peanut in daycare, she was the sweetest lady and knew (even at 3) that The kid loved all kinds of food and knew I was working and going to school and doing the best to have dinner (hearty & quick) on the table every night.
This recipe is Amazingly easy, uses very few ingredients that are all readily available in the supermarket and takes about 45 minutes start to finish :)
2-3 lbs Skinless chicken thighs (I also de-bone them, just because The Kid and The Boyfriend prefer it that way)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 Tbs. Oilve Oil
1 jar Sofrito
1 1/2 C. uncooked medium grain rice
2/3 cup dry white wine
1 (4 1/2 ounce) bottle alcaparrado, drained (** or 3/4 cup pitted green olives and 1/4 cup capers)
4 cups water
1 (15 3/4 ounce) can reduced-sodium fat-free chicken broth
1 cup frozen green pea, thawed
**alcaparrado is a mixture of whole green olives, pimentos, and capers; look for it in the Latin section of the supermarket or in Latino markets such as Goya.
1. Combine the first 5 ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Sprinkle chicken with the oregano mixture.
3. Heat Oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
4. Add the chicken; cook 8 minutes, turning once.
5. Reduce heat to medium.
6. Add Sofrito and cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
7. Add rice, wine, and alcaparrado; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
8. Add the water and chicken broth; bring to a boil.
9. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.
10. Stir in the peas, and cook for 5 minutes or until the rice is tender.