I came across this recipe a few years ago when I wanted to make these ornaments with The Kid but for some reason I never got around to making them.. at least, not until now.
Makes 10 -14 decorations
- 1 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon fragrance oil (apple, cinnamon,range or your own choice)
- 2 tablespoons white craft glue
- Mix in a bowl the cinnamon and cloves.
- Add to this applesauce, oil and the glue.
- Knead this mixture for a few minutes til you have a firm but pliable dough.
- Too wet, add more cinnamon--too dry, add more applesauce.
- Roll the dough out on a surface dusted with cinnamon, 1/4 inch thick.
- Cut out shapes with cookie cutters [x-mas tree, hearts, stars, etc].
- Make a hole in the top with a wooden or metal skewer, this must be large enough for ribbon if you want them for hanging.
- Air dry them for several days on paper kitchen towel, turning them over several times so they don't warp.
Impatient, try the quick dry method:
- A low oven [200°F] for a few hours will also do the trick, don't forget to turn them over.
- When dry, decorate with a ribbon.
- You can also use shallow plaster, cookie and candy molds, press the dough in the cavity, smooth with a rolling pin, ease out of the mold and cut away the excess dough.
- Or roll out the dough, place a piece of decorative lace on the top, using the rolling pin go over it until it has left an impression of the lace, then cut out using the cookie cutters.
- You also get a nice result using cookie stamps.