This is one of those sides that I could eat the whole dang thing.. but I manage to restrain myself, lol.
This is not strictly Thanksgiving.. I do make this during the year when I want something on the side that's a little fancy and substantial.
6 Tbs Unsalted Butter
4 Tbs All Purpose Flour
2 1/2 Cups Milk
1 Tbs Sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp Pepper
3 (11oz) cans Niblets corn, drained
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 Cup fresh bread crumbs (from 3 slices bread)
1. Heat oven to 350. Lightly grease 11x 13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. In a medium saucepan melt 4 Tbs butter over medium heat. With a wire whisk, stir in flour and cook 2 minutes
2. Gradually add milk, whisking until smooth; add sugar, salt and pepper. Cook 3- 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens; set aside and cool 5 minutes.
3. Place corn in a large bowl. Pour white sauce over corn and mix well. Stir in eggs until thoroughly combined. Transfer corn mixture into baking dish.
4. Sprinkle bread crumbs over corn. Cut remaining butter into small pieces; use it to dot the top of the casserole.
(I've also found that you can spray the top with some butter flavor cooking spray and it makes the whole top crispy and delicious)
5. Bake 30 - 35 minutes until the top is golden brown and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean
Whenever I make this P. totally devours it.