I wanted lemon squares last night (Okay, really I wanted a big bowl of chocolate peanut butter ice cream, but I’ve got another 8 days to go to give in to that craving) so I’m trying to be good here and I made my lemon squares with Splenda.. Well.. The cookie part came out just fine, but the lemon part came out very dry and odd tasting. I like splenda in my coffee, but it’s not the right thing to be baking with... Now, in all honesty I did use Regular splenda (even though in hindsight, I do have a bag of splenda for baking in the cabinet ) The cookie part is excellent, but the top lemon layer leaves much to be desired, I’m glad I only made a very small batch though.
I’ve listed the recipe below, this is slightly different from the Lemon Bar recipe that I previously posted, the cookie layer is seriously lemony as well as the lemon topping.. YUM!! Gonna try this again tonight with Real Sugar and do a side by side comparison for y’all :)
Lemony lemon bars
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter
grated zest of 1 lemon
3 Tbs Lemon juice
Topping:4 large eggs
1 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°f.
- For crust, in a medium bowl stir together flour and brown sugar.
- Cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press flour mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare topping. Beat eggs slightly.
- In a separate bowl, stir together sugar and flour. Add to eggs. Beat well.
- Add lemon juice, peel, baking powder, and salt. Beat until smooth.
- Pour over baked crust. Return to oven and bake 25-30 minutes longer, or until just set.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar while hot. Let cool and cut into bars.